cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCP App Services vs HANA One and HEC

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a couple of specific questions:

1. If I am a developer and I want to get to know HANA for the first time, would I start with the Developer edition of HCP App Services (which is completely free!) or with HANA One (which is 0.99$ an hour)? The price would suggest that I start with HCP, and I also assume that gives me access to App Services that I wouldn't get on HANA One. On the other hand, you can't go into production with HCP, but you can with HANA One, so that would go in favour of HANA One. Are these the main considerations, or am I missing something?

2. If I've built a custom applications in HCP App Services, I can either run it there, or with HEC. So when would I do what? I guess they are different specs and pricing models, so I would have to make a detailed comparison, but are there any immediate differences that make this a fairly straightforward choice?

Hope you understand my questions and thanks for clarifying!

-Maarten

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maarten,

Good questions. See answers below.

1. If I am a developer and I want to get to know HANA for the first time, would I start with the Developer edition of HCP App Services (which is completely free!) or with HANA One (which is 0.99$ an hour)? The price would suggest that I start with HCP, and I also assume that gives me access to App Services that I wouldn't get on HANA One. On the other hand, you can't go into production with HCP, but you can with HANA One, so that would go in favour of HANA One. Are these the main considerations, or am I missing something?

>>> As you correctly identified, HANA One does not give you access to AppServices. the Developer edition of HCP lets you get familiar with HANA as well as the AppServices on top that are available with HCP (see http://hcp.sap.com for more info). Note that the HCP Developer edition gives you access to shared instance of HANA, but with HANA One you get a dedicated environment. You can of course go into production with HCP, but you would need to upgrade from the free HCP Developer edition to one of the paid editions. See link for more information SAP HANA Cloud Platform Pricing and Options. As you'll see, you also get larger configuration choices with HCP AppServices compared to HANA One.

2. If I've built a custom applications in HCP App Services, I can either run it there, or with HEC. So when would I do what? I guess they are different specs and pricing models, so I would have to make a detailed comparison, but are there any immediate differences that make this a fairly straightforward choice?

>>> Think of HCP like any public Platform-as-a-Service. Apps built using HCP AppServices run in the HCP environment (SAP public cloud infrastructure) - not in HEC. HEC, on the other hand, is intended for running SAP landscapes & is a managed cloud service - i.e. SAP provides infrastructure + managed services for your SAP application landscape.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Suresh

0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for your helpful answer.

So re 1. With HCP, the developer edition is free and comes with more functionality than HANA One (namely the AppServices), but it's a shared instance and you have to start paying when you want to go live. Conversely, with HANA One, you pay a little and only get HANA, but it's a dedicated instance and you can go live with it at no extra cost. I didn't quite get that from the table (http://www.saphana.com/community/cloud), but if that's correct, the I get it now ;o)

Re 2. If HEC is only for SAP landscapes, why does the table (http://www.saphana.com/community/cloud) say "Custom Applications" as one of the use cases of HEC?

Thanks again!

Maarten

Answers (0)