cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add addtional memory to an existing HANA implementation

matt_ellicott
Explorer
0 Kudos

our 2 TB system is not large enough to handle the volume of data and overhead required to make HANA run as fast as oracle, so we need to add an addtional 1.5 TB. what is the procedure for doing this and the timeframe involved?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ellicott,

If it's a scale out system then all you need to do is get in touch with hardware vendor and get additional nodes. Once we get the nodes we can easily add them using hdbaddhost command or using HLM. Once we add the nodes we can run table redistribution using studio.

Even if its a scale up system all you need to do is to work with hardware vendor on your options.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Suresh

matt_ellicott
Explorer
0 Kudos

We contacted the hardware vendor, they are indicating it will require 2 weeks of downtime to add the 1.5 TB. i'm looking for a detail description of the steps required and how long they take. you're repply seems to indicate this should take less than a day.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In our case we had 512 GB boxes. We used to have 8 node and I added additional 5 additional nodes and did the table distribution. Distribution itself had too many challenges in SP06 though. It didnt move the tables physically and just created pointers. So had to use alter table move command for 33000 tables and making sure their partitions and subpartitions doesn't stay on same node.( hope they fixed them in SP08 or upcoming SP09). Once I had the nodes ready it took 20 mins to add them and took 18 hours of downtime to move the tables with three resources working continuously sharing the tables.

Now we want to refresh the hardware with 1 TB boxes. Only recommendation from SAP was to do m node to n node refresh. Which I did many times successfully but would end up with additional index servers on our new hardware. SAP has some steps and can remove those additional index servers in a side car approach.  We are looking for best options still. Will keep you posted if I find one.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ellicott,

Please find the attachment of SAP HANA Scale-out Performance.

Request you please go through the document it will give some idea related to your post.

Hope its helps you.

Warm Regards,

Earesh

matt_ellicott
Explorer
0 Kudos

This  is not a BI installation, were running RDS for financials. save the sales pitch for someone who hasn't had to work with this product. it's taking 3 months to just do the initial load of the tables.