cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hana Paramter is static or dynamic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

how we can justify whether have to take restart of hana db after changing or adding parameter value in .ini files(indexserver.ini,nameserver.ini, statisticsserver.ini or xengine.ini) or not in hana studio,   to take changes effective on the system

Please assist me on this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pandey,

If I understood correctly;

• you need to restart the HANA db, if, the ini files (through OS ) are manually modified (static).

• If the ini files are modified through the Hana Studio, then yes it is dynamic and no restart is needed.

the ini files are read during the restart, and only modified if some changes are done in/or through Hana Studio.

cheers

Nuno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

Please find the attached document in the below note. This guide provides information about some of the main configurable parameters in SAP HANA and tell you about the restart of the system.

2036111 - Configuration parameters for the SAP HANA system

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can check in the Hana kernel, (eg /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/hdb/config/) where all the parameters name, property and default value are set. Be careful, if you change something here, the default value will change of the parameter.

Regards,

Balint

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The parameters listed in the file are not all available parameters. It's just the list of parameters that happen to be part of the default configuration.

Also, the comments/documentation is not to be taken too literally and no guarantee is given that it is correct.

Former Member
0 Kudos

based on my experience so far, there is not indicator (like what we get in Abap) that it's a dynamic or static parameters.

best to check with SAP Support as there related document on hana parameters are not there yet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sanjay,

Its pretty hard to segregate the parameters. Most of the times if a restart is needed it will be mentioned in SAP note or will be clarified by SAP support. On a normal basis admin usually changes log_mode which definitely needs a restart and parameters which involve changing the log destination doesn't need a restart. So far I get to know about these parameters as and when I run into different issues and working with SAP support.

Thanks

Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

As per my understanding, when you do the changes or add parameter its totally depends on the system.

- Automatically system will get restart if it is necessary or prompt for restart.

- It might varies with server. (Some server might ask for restart or not).

Please let me know if is there any concerns/comment.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,

Earesh kumar