cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to validate new BW on HANA system like conection tests, Autorization's required etc.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Can some one help me by providing information relating how to carry the validation checks like conection tests, Autorization's required etc., as we are going to implement a new project i.e BW on HANA.

Need to validate the new BW on HANA system once it is handoverd by Basis team and to

---------

Regards,

Samrat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Samrat,

No straight forward answer really for your question . If I were you, ...

After the system installation ie HANA and the BW ABAP, perform the basic checks that would you normally peform on a bw system running on Oracle.

Assuming that the HANA and the BW-ABAP systems are installed properly,

So from an application usage perspective for a developer

1) Check if RFC is working between the BW system and other BW source systems (eg SAP ECC).

2) Load data into BW

3 ) Run a bex query

If SAP BODS is being used as a source to bring in external data, check if you are able to load data using SAP BODS into BW.

Do you see that the system is behaving normally? I would expect the system to be faster than a BW on Oracle system . Check that by loading a huge volume of flat file data and activating an in-memory DSO. Activation of a DSO request happens at the DB level so this should be faster.  But, how can you say that the DSO request activation is faster without having a benchmark to compare with.  Could you see a difference based on your experience ?

Reg BW system , based on my experience either running on HANA or other databases, unless you have a very experienced basis resource who knows it all and with a check-list all the configuration steps post installation - Good luck with that excerise as well!

Reg authorization - There are lots of new objects types in SAP BW 7.4 SP5 and greater, so check the different authtorization objects needed and add them to your profile. The following are a few authorization objects that I remember off the top of my head.

S_RS_ODSV for Open ODS view

S_RS_ODSP_H ODP: Extraction from HANA

RSHAAP for HANA analysis process

RSHAOT for HANA analysis elements

S_RS_HCPR for composite provider

If you will be using eclipse-based editor for SAP BW, again there are new authorizattion objects that you need.

Depends on the type of the data flow modelling scenario, that you would set up really.

SAP BW on HANA license, you will be able to expose BW models via HANA so for that you need to set up previleges in HANA as well. Check the type of license that your company has got and see if you can run hana native scenarios as well.

Once you have worked through different data flow modelling and business objects reporting tools,I am sure you would have identified all of the authorization objects.

Assign individual team members to set up the data flow,and during the process the team will be able to find out all of the authorization objects required.

Hope your solution architect has worked out the reference architecture(LSA++) for BW on HANA before your developer starts the build.

Like I have said, there is no straight forward answer, but there is plenty of information available in the hana community for you to carry out your exercise.

Good luck!

0 Kudos

Also keep an eye on short dumps .

0 Kudos

Magesh, Thanks a lot for posting such a detailed information.

Ofcourse you are right as there is no straight answer for my requirement and I couldn't find any relavant answer.But the information provided by you is very much handful for proceeding further.Definitely it helps me to carryon further.

Regards,

Samrat

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member195748
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Samrat,

Looks like you have recently migrated to SAP HANA,

I am struglling to find answer to a question.

Is it possible to run two BW servers on single HANA DB, accoriding to note - 0001666670, its not possible,

Have you come accross any such scenario, of running multiple BW on single HANA DB.

If this is not possible, then what can be  the best possible approach.

Br,

Vivek

0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Ours is a fresh HANA system and the project is an new HANA implementation, so no concept of migration in my case.I am also new to HANA and looking in the forum for info.

Regards,

Samrat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samrat,

Please run the checklist tool as mentioned in SAP Note 1729988 before and then proceed with your BW on HANA. Download the latest version of the tool from SAP Note 1729988.

Thanks Much,

Abhishek

0 Kudos

Abhishek, Thanks for the reply.

Already gone through the Note 1729988.The note focus on migrating the BW system to HANA.But ours is a fresh BW on HANA system which gets in place in few days and will be handed over by the basis team.Being a developer I should ensure system works fine to carry out the developments. For that I need to prepare a checklist regarding authorizations required, Access, Connections tests etc.

Is there any other way/procedure to validate the syatem and preparing the checklist.

Thanks in advance,

Samrat