cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA One Spatial capabilities on AWS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to try Hana One spatial capabilities.

Initially, I have used CloudShare and provisioned a Hana Developer Edition (whatever is the version provided by CloudShare) and was able to create a spatial table by using this statement:

CREATE COLUMN TABLE SpatialShapes

(

id integer,

shape ST_GEOMETRY

);

Indeed, before I was able to successfully execute this statement, I had to run this statement (I guess in order to enable spatial):

alter system alter configuration ( 'indexserver.ini', 'SYSTEM' ) set ('spatial', 'activate_beta_spatial_engine') = 'Yes' with reconfigure

But, I was told by SAP PSG guys to run Hana One(instead of Hana Developer Edition) from AWS as this is the most up to date one.

I have provisioned Hana One from AWS (apparently the version that runs there is R52.1) and did exactly same steps as above.

1. Run alter script

alter system alter configuration ( 'indexserver.ini', 'SYSTEM' ) set ('spatial', 'activate_beta_spatial_engine') = 'Yes' with reconfigure

Statement 'alter system alter configuration ( 'indexserver.ini', 'SYSTEM' ) set ('spatial', ...' successfully executed in 234 ms 293 µs (server processing time: 231 ms 704 µs) - Rows Affected: 0

2. Tried to enable spatial

CREATE COLUMN TABLE SpatialShapes

(

id integer,

shape ST_GEOMETRY

);

Could not execute 'CREATE COLUMN TABLE SpatialShapes ( id integer, shape ST_GEOMETRY )' in 3 ms 102 µs . SAP DBTech JDBC: [257] (at 58): sql syntax error: incorrect syntax near "ST_GEOMETRY": line 4 col 8 (at pos 58)

Is SAP Hana One from AWS the latest Hana version and does it support SPATIAL capabilities?

Thank you,

Ovidiu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting - I see you work for a mapping service. Let us know how you get on with the spatial support. I've found it is extremely interesting.

You need to upgrade to Rev.68 - the spatial support came in Rev.60 and so the default AWS image doesn't contain this. The advice you were given on HANA One is erroneous - both HANA One and HANA Dev center images are both on Rev.68 as of today, so either can support the beta Spatial Engine

Once you do that, the syntax you are using should work. I would say though that the HANA Spatial Engine in SP06 is beta, and does require help from the development/product management team. I've used it a few times and it is fiddly and the documentation is sparse. I see that you have the magic flag to enable the spatial engine, so you have obviously got some support from somewhere!

We expect HANA SP07 any day now, and I expect this will remove the "beta" flag from the Spatial Engine, and also provide proper publicly available documentation.

There is more information, and a reference guide, available at SAP Note 1872108 - Current Restrictions:SAP HANA Spatial processing - including information on how to contact the product team for assistance.

John

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

John,

Thanks for sharing your thought. Just for clarification of our HANA One customers. we assume our HANA One customers don't have automatic access to SMP or OSS for SAP note. Of course our SAP customers, partners have access who also use HANA One but the reverse is not true.

Thanks,

Swapan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Swapan,

I understand, but the Spatial Engine is only available for ISV Partners and Customers at this time, so anyone using the Spatial Engine right now should have access to SMP and OSS. This is expected to change in HANA SP07. Then, we won't have to rely on SAP Notes, I hope!

By the way - the activation command for the spatial engine is only available to SAP Employees right now - it's not even on SMP or OSS. This thread is the only place on the internet where it is even mentioned 🙂

John

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Ovidiu,

Please check HANA version you are using within HANA One. You can upgrade upto Rev 68 within HANA One as of today.

Thanks,

Swapan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer.

The version of Hana One I am using is whatever is provided by Amazon (the only thing I could find is Rev 52.1).

How can I check what version is running?

How can I upgrade to the latest version?

Ovidiu

swapan_saha
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ovidiu,

If you are new to HANA One, we request  you to spend 30 mins to go through available documents which will answer most of your questions here.

3. How to upgrade HANA in HANA One: 

When you are ready please upgrade to the latest HANA as of today (Rev 68). You may search available documents and messages here for any other questions.

Thanks,

Swapan

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Just to confirm. We managed to switch on the spatial engine, and can now use geometry types in DDL. Now checking whether queries and functions work as well.