Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of Cubes/DSO's in HANA

former_member195940
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

1. Why do we need to use the Program RSDRI_CONVERT_CUBE_TO_INMEMORY ( to convert a standard Cube to HANA ) when, by “default" the Cube is “in memory ? ( I mean, when we create a new cube in HANA or even when we transport from BI 7.0 to BW 7.3, I think its in Memory)

2. Can also please let me know if I need to Migrate Std DSO’s to HANA" In memory DSO’s". or are they not in “In memory” by default again? I mean do I still need to convert them? if so, whats the procedure?

Thanks

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_tocik5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

When migration of info cubes into in-memory, they go back to a classical star schema model as opposed to an extented star schema. The master data SIDs in the fact table still connect to their corresponding master data tables (info object) like a primary key - foreign key relationship except that it doesnt have to go via the dimension tables.

You can get more detail here;

https://cookbook.experiencesaphana.com/modeling-data/bw-modeling-sap-hana/aspects-hana-optimized-inf...

former_member195940
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks!

But still, do we need to Migrate again the cube? I see the cubes are b default in HANA In Memory? so, I dont know whether I still need to Migrate manually?

Thanks

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, if you want to take advantage of the performance increases that HANA offers, you will need to convert them to HANA optimized cubes or dsos. After the db migration, yes, all objects are in memory, but the structural changes (eliminate E fact table, elimination of the dimension tables, etc) that take place during the conversion are the root of the performance increases which come with BW powered by HANA.

After you've done the DB migration to HANA you could simply leave cubes and dsos as they were in the RDBMS environment and everything will work fine. But if you do this, you will not get the performance that HANA is built to deliver. Additionally, in a BW powered by HANA environment, each new cube or dso created will be created the HANA optimized way.

Regards,

Josh

SAP Customer Solution Adoption

former_member195940
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Josh.

so, just to confirm finaly,

after the DB migration, do we still need to convert the cubes/DSO's to HANA - In Memory or not.?

as I see all the cubes are HANA optmized now as we are on BW 7.3 with HANA as our DB

Please advise

Thanks

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, after the DB migration you still need to convert cubes and std DSOs to HANA optimized objects.

Regards,

Josh

SAP Customer Solution Adoption

Answers (0)