- What is SAP HANA One?
SAP HANA One is a single HANA instance hosted on Amazon Web Services that can be provisioned instantly.
Customers and Partners can leverage SAP HANA One to provision a secured instance of SAP HANA, build or deploy on-demand applications on top of this SAP HANA Database instance, and provide the resulting applications to end users for productive use.
- Is SAP HANA One appropriate for my needs?
SAP HANA One is appropriate for:
- Enterprise of all sizes, to build and deploy SAP HANA-based solutions for production use.
- Startups looking to use SAP HANA for production
- ISVs looking to build and deliver applications on SAP HANA
- Those who require high speed and do not need more than ~30GB capacity for data
- Those looking for subscription model pricing
- Those building solutions that are also hosted in AWS
- What is the duration of the SAP HANA One license?
SAP HANA One is configured for a 1-year renewable license from the date the instance is created.
- Does SAP offer short-term licenses?
There are no long-term obligations involved; the subscription is hourly.
- How am I paying for my SAP HANA One instances?
All charges are billed by Amazon Web Services, paid by credit card, and the use of the service is governed by Amazon Web Services. Customers pay a single hourly rate for the SAP HANA One instance.
- Can I take my SAP HANA One solution from the AWS cloud to on-premise or another cloud later?
The license associated with the hourly SAP HANA usage is limited to AWS only. You can contact SAP Service to transition the cloud scenario to HANA on-premise.
- Can I download my SAP HANA One instance to run on my own environment?
No. SAP HANA One instances can only be run on Amazon Web Services. No downloads are permitted, with the exception of SAP HANA Studio and Client components.
- Can I apply my on-premise SAP HANA software license for SAP HANA One on AWS?
Not at this time.
- If I start with SAP HANA One instances and then purchase on-premise software, do I get a credit?
No. There are no credits for switching between deployment models.
- How does this compare to the SAP HANA Developer Sandbox offered in the SAP HANA Developer Center on SCN?
The SAP HANA One license and instance type enable production use, whereas the developer license does not.
- How does SAP HANA One Platform compare to SAP HANA on-premise?
SAP HANA One allows fast deployment, operational flexibility and faster time-to-market to develop and deploy for use-cases that can be satisfied by 60.5GB memory. SAP HANA on-premise is recommended for use cases that deal with larger data sets.
- Are there other SAP products available in AWS Marketplace?
SAP Business Objects is available on AWS Marketplace.
Total Cost and Cost Control
- How much does SAP HANA One cost?
The introductory subscription fee is $0.99 per hour for a 60.5GB SAP HANA One instance.
SAP HANA One license costs: 720 hours x .99 = 712.80 (introductory price)
SAP HANA One Estimates:
On demand: Compute/Storage/Data transfer: $ 1830.00
Total with Software Fees = $ 2542.8/720 hours = $3.53/hr
Reserved Instance – Heavy: One time payment: 5192.00/12 = 432.67/mo
Compute/Storage/Data transfer Monthly: 605.30 / 720 = .85/hr
Total with Software Fees: 1750.77/720 = 2.43/hr
- How can I control cost?
You will be responsible for operating your AWS account and pay for the hosting costs. A great way to minimize costs is to stop our instance when you are not using it. Starting your instance just takes a few minutes, so you can fire it up when you need it. To stop your instance, find it in the AWS console, right click the instance and choose "Stop" from the context menu. To start it again, choose "Start" from the same context menu.
Be aware that even though you've stopped your instance, there are a few items that will still incur costs, the primary being storage. If you want to stop using your HANA One instance, and you don't want to pay any more monthly bills, please make sure to terminate your instance. It will then be permanently deleted. To terminate your instance, choose "Terminate" from your context menu.
Please note that this process will automatically delete the root
EBS volume but other non-root volumes are not automatically deleted. Once you terminate your instance and you do no longer need your data, please delete your detached EBS volumes from EC2 console to avoid storage charges for unused EBS volumes.
AWS also provides tools to monitor your usage, so there are no surprises when you get your monthly bill - from your "My Account / Console" menu on the top right corner of the screen on http://aws.amazon.com, choose "Account Activity" and you will see your activity for the current month.
- How can I set billing alerts?
Billing alerts enable you to monitor your AWS usage charges and recurring fees automatically, making it easier to track and manage your spending on AWS. You can set up billing alerts to receive e-mail notifications when your charges reach a specified threshold. First 10 alerts are free.
Please visit httpshttps://portal.aws.amazon.com/gp/aws/developer/account/index.html?ie=UTF8&action=billing-alerts&://portal.aws.amazon.com/gp/aws/developer/account/index.html?ie=UTF8&action=billing-alerts& ; to setup billing Alerts.
Getting Started and Deployment Considerations
- What is the maximum database size for SAP HANA One?
As of now, 60.5GB of memory is available for SAP HANA One. However, for optimal performance, we do not recommend exceeding the size of the database beyond the 30GB in memory.
- What do I do if I outgrow the maximum database size?
Consider using SAP HANA on-premise for database requirements that exceed AWS’s current offering.
- Can I use AWS clustering functionality?
This is not currently supported for SAP HANA One.
- How do I load data to my SAP HANA One instance?
You can load data to SAP HANA One importing CSV files.
- What is the performance on SAP HANA One as compared to SAP HANA on-premise?
For a similar number and type of CPU cores, memory and I/O configuration, SAP HANA One is comparable to SAP HANA on-premise. Your actual performance will vary based on the nature of workload.
- If SAP or another source system is connecting from onsite to SAP HANA One, what is the network bandwidth?
Network bandwidth in this case is dependent on the bandwidth available at the onsite location.
- What happens if there’s a hardware failure? Who is responsible, SAP or Amazon? What should a customer do?
If your SAP HANA One instance fails, you can start up again using the AWS Console or through an API call. All storage volumes associated with your instance are automatically attached to your new instance.
Security & Backup
- How do I recover lost data?
SAP HANA One is configured to back up data and log to a separate 200
GB EBS volume from which data can then be recovered. Log backup is performed periodically as needed. Data backup is recommended periodically and before any system upgrade to protect data and HANA artifacts.
- What happens to my data when I shut down the SAP HANA One instance?
The SAP HANA One instances are backed up by persistent data stores and will remain attached until the user terminates the instance. Even after termination (by default), only the root volume is deleted. The data, log, and backup volumes will not be deleted automatically. Those volumes can be attached to other instances if required. If you terminateyour instance, EBS volumes are not automatically deleted. Once you terminate your instance and you no longer need your data, please delete your detached EBS volumes from EC2 console to avoid storage charges for unused EBS volumes.
- How secure is the Amazon EC2 environment to run my SAP HANA Database?
AWS provides industry-standard security, and instances can be configured according to your specific needs. Please refer to AWS security features at http://http://aws.amazon.com/securityaws.amazon.com/security. More advanced features like Virtual Private Cloud can provide more fine-grained control over security.
- Can a SAP HANA One backup be restored into an on-premise instance of SAP HANA?
Yes, as long as SAP HANA One and SAP HANA on-premise licenses are valid, and the SAP HANA versions match, backup data can be transferred. Please follow your license agreements carefully before you transfer any data between SAP HANA One and SAP HANA on-premise.
- Do I need to install Secure Backup media and administrative servers in order to do Cloud backup?
Special backup media is not required. The SAP HANA One instances are pre-configured with 200GB of
EBS volumes for data backups. For added data security, snapshots of these volumes can be created on AWS.
- What process do I need to follow to become an SAP HANA One OEM Partner?
To become an SAP OEM Partner, please apply OEM partner application at: http://www.sap-web.com/forms/Q210/partners/application/