Please contact your SAP account executive for detailed information. Your SAP account team will be able to provide the most up-to-date information.
How is SAP HANA priced?
SAP HANA is priced using two pricing variables: the volume of data loaded and ‘stored’ in SAP HANA and the number of users who interact with SAP HANA. In addition, SAP HANA is available in different ‘Editions’ to provide options and choices to customers based on their specific needs and preferences.
Quotes fom the Steve Lucas blog: What Oracle Won't Tell You about SAP HANA
- HANA pricing is inclusive of everything you need, unlike Oracle which charges for the Database licenses & Exadata Storage as well as Grid licensing, Partitioning, OLAP, Diagnostics & Tuning Pack, Grid Control, etc.
- Oracle charges for Non-Productive environments while SAP doesn’t for HANA. Given that SAP landscapes have anywhere from three to nine instances between development, QA, production, etc.. Pre-requisite: Customers can deploy any number of non-productive instances (Test, Dev, QA, Prod copy etc.) as long as the number of units (cores, users, CPU, GB of memory) deployed per non-productive instance is equal or lower to the number of units licensed on the production system.
- HANA operates efficiently on the most granular level of detail in your data model. No extra indices, no aggregates. Both of which are required to build in Oracle Exadata for performance, and count towards the user space. So you are paying additional fees for “fine tuning”.
- Planning functions (comment by the author of this document: excludes SAP Planning applications like IP Integrated Planning and BPC), Business Functions, Predictive capabilities, Full Text Search capabilities etc. are all included in the price of HANA. These are things that Exadata doesn’t offer out of the box. Again, you’ll have to purchase a number of additional Oracle products to accomplish these critical functions.
- Runtime versions of HANA (e.g. Database Edition for BW) are priced at substantially lower prices as compared to Exadata and deliver a significantly better price/performance ratio.
- The more HANA you buy, the less expensive the list price per unit becomes.
- You can scale in 64 GB increments with HANA using Industry-standard servers vs. obligating yourself to Oracle’s ¼, ½ or full rack license, the hardware for which is limited to running Oracle software.
- SAP offers a BWA to SAP HANA license conversions incentive, which is not available from Oracle today.
- HANA servers from certified partners like Fujitsu are available for as little as $12K. That’s because we don’t force our customers into one hardware stack and then overcharge for it. We have certified partners like IBM, HP, DELL and the list goes on and on for HANA.
Can SAP BWA customers upgrade their SAP BWA licenses to SAP HANA licenses when moving to BW on HANA (SAP NetWeaver powered by SAP HANA) ?
Although SAP NetWeaver BW Accelerator and SAP HANA are licensed as separate products, SAP offers an investment protection program that provides credit for existing BWA licenses toward new SAP HANA licenses.
Do I need an additional license to utilize the HANA custom data mart features in BW on HANA?
Please contact your SAP account executive to discuss which license option is the right one for your scenario.
I am a developer, and I like to try my skills on a SAP HANA data base, what are the costs?
As a developer you can now create your own HANA developer environment on Amazon Web Services (AWS). SAP won't charge you anything for the license, but you will be responsible for operating your own AWS account.
Please see the link for details how you can get a developer license for SAP HANA.
I heard that SAP offers an app running on a HANA database on the Apple App Store, what is the cost of the app?
The app is called SAP Recalls Plus, and has been created for consumers in order to allows parents to keep an eye on the products their children use most with a personal watch list.
The app is also available for Android.
Please see the links to download the app, and a link with more details about the app.
Is there a free trial version of BW on HANA that customers can use to get started and get familiar with the solution?
There is a 30 day free trial version of BW on HANA available for customers. It is fully configured and even includes SAP BI. Since it is running in the cloud the system will be available after registration in just about 15-20 minutes.
There is also a 5 minute demo video that shows how to sign up and get access to the systems.