Backint for SAP HANA is an API that enables 3rd party tool vendors to directly connect their backup agents to the SAP HANA database. Backups are transferred via pipe from the SAP HANA database to the 3rd party backup agent, which runs on the SAP HANA database server and then sends the backups to the 3rd party backup server.
3rd party backup tools can be fully integrated with SAP HANA:
- Execution of backup and recovery from SAP HANA studio and via SAP HANA SQL commands
- Configuration of tool-specific parameters via SAP HANA studio
For more information on the integration of 3rd party backup tools with SAP HANA, please refer to the Administration Guide. Installation documentation for 3rd party backup tools is going to be provided by the 3rd party tool vendors.
Which tools are certified? (Updated 2014-10-16)
- Symantec NetBackup 7.5
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Enterprise 6.4
- Commvault Simpana 10.0
- Hitachi Data Protection Suite 10 (integration via Commvault Simpana Backint interface)
- HP Data Protector 7.0, 8.1
- EMC Data Domain Boost for Databases and Applications 1.0, EMC Networker 8.2
- SEP Sesam 4.4
You can find an overview of the certified tools in the Application Development Partner Directory: Enter the search term "HANA-BRINT" and click on a partner name for further details.
As a customer, what do I need to know when installing 3rd party backup tools on SAP HANA?
Backup tools that use Backint for SAP HANA can only be installed on the SAP HANA box if they have been certified by SAP. You can find further details on this and on the installation of 3rd party tools on SAP HANA in general in the following SAP Notes:
- Using backup tools with Backint (login required)
- Using external software in a HANA appliance (login required)
As a tool vendor, what to I have to do to get my backup tool certified for SAP HANA?
A detailed description of the certification process is available here.
Do I have to use a 3rd party backup tool to backup SAP HANA?
No, SAP HANA comes with native functionality for backup and recovery. Using 3rd party backup tools is an alternative to using the native SAP HANA functionality.
For more information on SAP HANA backup and recovery, please refer to the documentation at the Administration Guide.